In this tutorial, I talk about how to update seps using a simple drag and drop method in channels. By using this method, you can update your color separations seamlessly and avoid any registration issues when you re-output via Illustrator. This is something you may find helpful if you already have the job set up on press and are simply waiting to get an updated screen.
Quick Reference Guide
1. Make sure both documents share the same size and dpi values.
2. Make sure you do not have anything selected (cmd + D) on either of the documents before dragging over.
3. Simply drag from the channels palette to the destination document and drop it anywhere in the window.
4. Replace color information from updated channel into existing spot color channel.
5. Save the file. If saving with a new name, relink in Illustrator.
If you didn’t catch the first two tutorials that cover making simple spot color separations in Photoshop and setting them up for output in Illustrator, those links are below.
Let me know what you guys think. Please feel free to leave a comment on how you go about updating your color separations. I’ve been doing this a long time and it never ceases to amaze me at how much I continue to learn everyday. One thing’s for sure though, it’s always from great artists out there who simply engage in conversation so let’s hear it!
Love and respect…